MediaMan Community MediaMan Forum
Pages: 1
Current status regarding Internet Explorer 7 By: He.Shiming Date: July 18, 2006
[Update: Click here to upgrade to the pre-release of MediaMan 2.65 to solve the IE7 script error problem. If you don't want to upgrade now, please scroll down and see post #5 for a temporary fix.]

I've received a handful number of reports regarding MediaMan might not work correctly with the latest beta version of Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.

However, in a test session I did, I found no problem for MediaMan to work with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 SP3 (IE7BETA3-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe, version 7.0.5450.4) in importing and browsing function. Although MediaMan did and will crash upon printing.

The crash on printing problem will be addressed soon in the next update. However, currently there are no other actions/improvements/modifications planned regarding the support for IE 7.

If you found any problems working with IE 7. Please first see if there's an updated Internet Explorer beta version available. Install it if there is. If the problem persists, please post it here with your operating system version, and IE 7 installation settings.

Please note that Windows Vista isn't fully supported yet.
Current status regarding Internet Explorer 7 By: He.Shiming Date: August 27, 2006
This is an update. The RC1 version of Internet Explorer 7 (IE7RC1-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe) will cause MediaMan to produce a tremendous number of script error message resulting in an unusable program. Users are not advised to try this version of Internet Explorer until further notice.

At this point, I'm not sure whether the same behavior will present in the final version of IE7. However, I'm already working on this problem, and hopefully a fix will come out soon.
Vista RC1 compatibility By: photonboy Date: September 11, 2006
I noticed that the same script errors occur in Vista RC1. Quite possibly due to Internet Explorer.

I thought I'd point this out so you may be able to ensure Vista compatibility at the same time as solving the IE7 Beta 3 fault in XP.

I just love Mediaman and it's exactly what I need. I'm currently dual-booting with Vista, but it looks like I'll be switching to Vista almost full time since it's pretty much compatible with everything I use. Noted exceptions:

1) optimal gaming driver support (NVidia; still okay though)
2) Nero 7 latest (v7.0.0.0 apparently is)
3) Cool 'n Quiet not fully working (fan YES, CPU power NO)

For Vista users here's a partial compatibility list for software (includes RC1): http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Windows_Vista_Software_Compatibility_List

**Maybe Mediaman should be posted here?
Current status regarding Internet Explorer 7 By: He.Shiming Date: September 11, 2006
Windows Vista won't be due for public until 2007. I'll keep a close eye on it. However, I hope you understand it's not that I didn't work on the issue. The information regarding changes on this platform is still preliminary. Developing for Vista is very difficult considering the lacking of documentation, and even the platform SDK is in its beta stage.

The primary issue here is still Internet Explorer 7. In fact, I've already come up with a fix. But the fix is far from perfect, it needs MediaMan to change the way it handles theme packages for virtual shelf. And it does look like the script error is a fault of Internet Explorer. So at this point, I'll have to wait and see if the final version of IE7 stays the same before releasing this fix.
Current status regarding Internet Explorer 7 By: He.Shiming Date: September 11, 2006
If you are anxious to get MediaMan working with Internet Explorer 7 RC1, you might want to try downloading the attached registry file (zipped), open it, and mix into your Windows registry.

It will add "mediaman.exe=0" into a key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BLOCK_LMZ_SCRIPT". The "FEATURE_BLOCK_LMZ_SCRIPT" is a new "feature" that blocks scripts from execution, which caused various script error problems in MediaMan.

Please note that this might not be completely safe. It'll allow any process by the name of "mediaman.exe" to execute scripts on your local computers from the Internet zone. So try at your own risk. Feedbacks regarding whether it works or not are welcomed. Click here for technical description of this feature.

This is a manual approach to enable this feature just for MediaMan. As is documented by Microsoft, there's a programmatical way (well, a decent way) to do this. But it seems they still need some time to update the development SDK. Again, I'll keep a close eye on it, make sure everything will be fine after the final release of IE7.

p.s. If you have got any other programs that produces script error after installing IE7 RC1. You can use registry editor to navigate to the key mentioned above, and add a value "process.exe=0" under this key. It'll mostly likely to work out for these programs too.
This didn't work - I found no attached zip file By: guelph147 Date: September 20, 2006
I tried this first by downloading the latest version of IE7 and it didn't work.  I ran 'regedit' and could not find  the "FEATURE_BLOCK_LMZ_SCRIPT" referred to here.  Also there was no file registry attached for me to run.
Additional help please.
Current status regarding Internet Explorer 7 By: He.Shiming Date: September 21, 2006
The attachment is visible to registered forum users only. Please try again.

Please note that this is only a temporary fix. I never advised you to upgrade to IE 7 RC1 if you hadn't done so.
Current status regarding Internet Explorer 7 By: pjtaylor Date: September 26, 2006
Works a treat on IE7/Vista RC1.

Thanks for giving me back my MediaMan! Cheesy
Current status regarding Internet Explorer 7 By: photonboy Date: September 30, 2006
Quote from: "pjtaylor"
Works a treat on IE7/Vista RC1.

Thanks for giving me back my MediaMan! Cheesy

Working perfect for me too!
(5 seconds to download and install)

Now that is GREAT customer support!!
Current status regarding Internet Explorer 7 By: poptramp Date: October 19, 2006
So, as you're probably aware, IE7 is now officially out.  I installed the patch that you posted for RC1 a few weeks ago, and that worked wonders on RC1.  However, I'm getting all those errors again, now that I've updated to the official release.  I'm not sure if it's IE7 overwriting registry entries (I don't think it is, as some other reg "tweaking" I'd done on RC1 still remained after installing the official release), or if the reg file you posted needs to be edited/fixed.

In any case, I'm sure you're working on a solution to the problem - I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks,
james.
Current status regarding Internet Explorer 7 By: He.Shiming Date: October 19, 2006
I just updated to the final version of IE 7, the version number says 7.0.5730.11. Although it works fine with MediaMan with the registry patch applied. There's no need to do anything further.

I'm not sure if the uninstaller cleared the registry on your computer (which could be the reason why the error message starting to appear again). It didn't do so on mine. I guess you only needed to apply that patch again to get it work.

The upcoming update of MediaMan will no longer need this registry patch.
Current status regarding Internet Explorer 7 By: poptramp Date: October 19, 2006
Strange.  I'll re-install it then, and hope it works out!

Out of curiosity, when you release the new version, will you be providing a patch to undo the registry change?  For security reasons.

Thanks
James.
Current status regarding Internet Explorer 7 By: He.Shiming Date: October 19, 2006
Well, in fact it's not that insecure. I'll provide instructions to remove it manually. Plus, the only thing that the upcoming update is going to do is to modify registry automatically. That's the way Internet Explorer 7 is designed. It looks like there's no alternative ways to achieve hosted control scripting.
Current status regarding Internet Explorer 7 By: oddworld Date: November 26, 2006
I just updated to IE7 today and I can no longer use Mediaman as I get the Script Errors.

Will this be fixed in the latest update to mediaman?
Current status regarding Internet Explorer 7 By: oddworld Date: November 26, 2006
How do I get that into my Registry after I unzip it?
Current status regarding Internet Explorer 7 By: He.Shiming Date: November 26, 2006
Quote from: "oddworld"
How do I get that into my Registry after I unzip it?

The instruction on that page is very clear.

Although you might want to try the latest version here: http://www.imediaman.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1219 . You don't have to do anything on this issue manually.
Current status regarding Internet Explorer 7 By: Philipp D. Date: December 05, 2006
jea i download this reg-update and now everything is perfekt. thx mediamancrew Smiley

philipp
Current status regarding Internet Explorer 7 By: Bicag Date: January 08, 2007
Great !

The patch is working with version 2.2.1 too : thanks a lot ! :thumbsup: