MediaMan Community MediaMan Forum
Pages: 1
PDF Case By: eden5900 Date: February 10, 2007
You mentioned in a post a while back that you think PDF/eBooks are underrated by Amazon. Would it be a good idea then, to have a case that is the book template, but have a 'PDF' logo watermarked in the corner?

This way, the user knows it's stored locally, and the 'play it' (maybe allow double click to 'play it') feature will pull it up right away!
PDF Case By: He.Shiming Date: February 10, 2007
I'm sorry but the virtual shelf feature is for rendering contents of item images, not just an icon. For icons, you can import custom icons and switch to the icon view. In the mean time, I don't think it's necessary to create looks specifically for PDF files.
PDF Case By: eden5900 Date: February 10, 2007
>> to create looks specifically for PDF files

If that's case, why is it neccesary to have Wii boxes, or Xbox boxes, or CD cases. You created these features to show off what format the items were in. eBooks (PDF) is just as seperate a format as a regular book view, or audio book view, that you designed.

:? Confused over your contradiction...
PDF Case By: He.Shiming Date: February 10, 2007
Well, as I said. PDF doesn't have a real look, unlike those items you mentioned, they are real. There are too many icons for file types, even ebooks have various format. And the virtual shelf feature wasn't designed to display icons.

The traditional way to organize PDF files in MediaMan is to treat them as regular books, and use the file listing feature to attach the file to it.

But, since you brought it up, I think I could improve the icon view a little. Currently, it's very under-rated compared to virtual shelf. The icon view can look nicer too, hopefully, in the next major update. It could take a while, but it may help if you prefer to treat them as files.
PDF Case By: eden5900 Date: February 11, 2007
Well, as I said. PDF doesn't have a real look, unlike those items you mentioned, they are real. There are too many icons for file types, even ebooks have various format. And the virtual shelf feature wasn't designed to display icons.

Good point, it slipped my mind that my eBooks could be .txt, .pdf, .chm...

But, since you brought it up, I think I could improve the icon view a little. Currently, it's very under-rated compared to virtual shelf. The icon view can look nicer too, hopefully, in the next major update. It could take a while, but it may help if you prefer to treat them as files.

Sounds great - nothing like a good debate!  Tongue