MediaMan Community MediaMan Forum
Pages: 1
Drag & drop items into Mediaman and other feature suggestions By: yaramorgan Date: August 21, 2009
Just a couple of feature suggestions:

I have a large eBook collection that I want to add to Mediaman's catalog. It seems that at the moment the quickest way to do this is to copy all the filenames and create a text file, then use the "read keywords from file" to search and import all the items.

Generally this works well, but there are a couple of issues with this system:

The first is that once the items are added, I have to manually set all their links - this is extremely time consuming when you have a lot of ebooks. The same goes for movies that are located on your hard disk.

The second nuisance with this system is that when keywords are read from a text file, some of them are found, but others are not. So in the end, it is very frustrating to have to go through your long list of items and see which ones were found and which ones weren't (the ones that weren't found probably just need a keyword change).

Possible solutions:

I'm not sure how easy it would be to accomplish, programatically speaking, but one idea to solve the first problem would be to drag and drop files into mediaman - when dropped they would be automatically added to the catalog (with a possible option to search the web for its info). Once the files are dragged into mediaman, their link would automatically be recognized and connected to the catalog entry.

For the second problem, perhaps a text file could be generated which listed all the items that weren't found. At the moment all the items that can't be found are presented in the lower right corner box with a little "x" beside them. But you can't scroll the box or copy and paste the items, so you have to manually write them down, one by one, as you delete them from the list. Perhaps someone else has a better idea on how to solve this problem.

Anyways, just some ideas. I'm sure He is flooded with feature requests, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents  Smiley

Re: Drag & drop items into Mediaman and other feature suggestions By: He.Shiming Date: August 22, 2009
Thank you for the suggestions.

For the problem, I guess the solution would be to let MediaMan scan hard drive folders to import. Your suggestion of drag and drop sounds great. This works not only on books, but also on mp3s as well. It's planned, but I'm still not quite sure it will become available in the next major update. I'll try.

And I'm also planning producing a very intuitive list for the items not found, probably in a separate window, with colors and highlights. I hope to take care of this feature in the upcoming update.
Re: Drag & drop items into Mediaman and other feature suggestions By: yaramorgan Date: August 22, 2009
Hi He, this all sounds great! As far as I'm concerned, this is the best cataloging software for Windows hand down. I've tried others and they just don't cut it. The planned feature updates will make it the best cataloging software on any platform.

P.S. Another quick suggestion would be to allow the bookmarking of catalogs. So there could be a menu somewhere that would allow me to quickly switch between catalogs (something like what GCStar has). I know that Mediaman is intended to catalog everything (books, movies, music, etc.) all in one catalog, but I guess I felt that separating different types of media into different catalogs would make the program run faster because everything wouldn't be loaded all at once. Am I correct in this assumption or would it not make a difference if everything was loaded in one catalog? If it doesn't make a difference, than having a bookmark feature wouldn't be necessary.
Re: Drag & drop items into Mediaman and other feature suggestions By: He.Shiming Date: August 23, 2009
Well, if you have a complicated structure of categories, and would like to switch between deep ones, you can click the drop down arrow at the top location bar. This will popup a menu containing the full list. It can also be accessed at the blue category link at the bottom pane. I think this will be easier than a bookmark.
Re: Drag & drop items into Mediaman and other feature suggestions By: yaramorgan Date: August 23, 2009
Hi He, thanks for the reply. In regards to the bookmarks, I wasn't referring to the categories, but rather to actual databases. What I've done is separate different media into different databases, because I felt that if I put everything into one database, it would make viewing the items slower. So I guess my question is: does it make a difference (in regards to speed and responsiveness) to make separate databases rather than keeping all your items in one database? My suggestion for bookmarks was in reference to having bookmarks for databases, rather than categories.