MediaMan Community MediaMan Forum
Pages: 1
amazon search completely broken in NEWEST build! when will this be fixed? By: mrcg Date: January 14, 2010
none of my new dvds and blurays can be found in amazon's database anymore. searching for "moon" on amazon.com or uk brings up videogames but not the dvd or bluray for the movie "moon". searching for the ASIN doesn't return any results either. searching for "knowing" or the dvd's ASIN on any amazon site: no results. in fact, searching for ANY keyword only gives me videogames as results, NO movies. searching directly for the ASIN of a dvd gives me NO RESULTS.

it has been like this for WEEKS!

i just recently bought media man and imported my whole dvd collection before the search stopped working. i have un-installed and re-installed the software. nothing has changed. is no one else experiencing these problems?

if this isn't resolved within a matter of days i'm going to demand my money back. this software is BROKEN right now and completely useless to me.
Re: amazon search completely broken in NEWEST build! when will this be fixed? By: He.Shiming Date: January 14, 2010
In this situation you might want to check the following:
1. check if you are limiting search to Artists or particular search catalogs are unchecked, click the double arrow button at the end of the keyword entry box to review the settings
2. check if your system clocks are running correctly, Amazon requires MediaMan to sign the requests, and current time is part of the signature
3. check your proxy settings and firewall settings to see if they are the cause of this problem

As far as MediaMan itself is concerned, importing is working fine on the latest build. So it should only be one of the reasons above, and I'm afraid this is not a bug.

On another note, I'm afraid currently there's no mechanism for MediaMan to retrieve items by ASIN. There's simply no such feature, and this is by design. You want to try with barcodes.
Re: amazon search completely broken in NEWEST build! when will this be fixed? By: mrcg Date: January 14, 2010
Quote from: He.Shiming on January 14, 2010
In this situation you might want to check the following:
1. check if you are limiting search to Artists or particular search catalogs are unchecked, click the double arrow button at the end of the keyword entry box to review the settings
2. check if your system clocks are running correctly, Amazon requires MediaMan to sign the requests, and current time is part of the signature
3. check your proxy settings and firewall settings to see if they are the cause of this problem

As far as MediaMan itself is concerned, importing is working fine on the latest build. So it should only be one of the reasons above, and I'm afraid this is not a bug.

On another note, I'm afraid currently there's no mechanism for MediaMan to retrieve items by ASIN. There's simply no such feature, and this is by design. You want to try with barcodes.
thanks for the help. i didn't know such a feature existed. however, once i clicked on that arrow and unchecked the "software and games" option mediaman would crash without failure as soon as i searched for something. so having all the options unchecked seems to result in a crash every single time. checking ALL the entries works on the other hand. so things are fine again for me. i can search and add movies again. you might wanna look into fixing that bug though (crashes when everything's unchecked).

also, it seems like you don't know every feature of your own program. Tongue of course searching and retrieving by ASIN works! it has always worked. and it's working again now!
Re: amazon search completely broken in NEWEST build! when will this be fixed? By: He.Shiming Date: January 14, 2010
If MediaMan crashes during import, you'll need to uncheck the IMDb option, this feature is currently broken.

And as I mentioned, there's no such feature as to retrieve item information by ASIN. This is because this is not a commonly known information. It's possible that searching for ASIN comes up with something in the result using a keyword search. However, there's no guarantee and in fact MediaMan treats your input just like any other words, as opposed to barcodes, which MediaMan do recognize and will use a special routine.