MediaMan Community MediaMan Forum
Pages: 1
DVD Collection Export in csv format : No Custom Fields??? By: alwi Date: April 26, 2005
No custom fields appear on DVD collection export in "csv" format. but appear in Rich Text and HTML.
DVD Collection Export in csv format : No Custom Fields??? By: alwi Date: April 26, 2005
hi He,

I use custom fields for "storage location" code, which I think it is very important for catalog software. The custom fields should be included on "csv" export.

Several other things to add for improvement:
1. "slide show" (all or by category, search result, etc.)
2. report design flexibilty (export) -> adjustable image size, number of column, etc.
3. include "Genre"
4. more "theme" for virtual shelf
5. Create "User community collection" database that users are able to upload their collections and share with others. The data later might be useful for further development of MediaMan.

I think MediaMan is the best for media catalog software so far, especially the design. I have tested several others, but none of them suits me.

well done!
DVD Collection Export in csv format : No Custom Fields??? By: He.Shiming Date: April 27, 2005
Well, originally, the exported CSV file is meant to be importable. Although this feature wasn't currently implemented, the design allows you to import the CSV back. However, if I were to allow custom field exporting, the design will be broken. And thus you can't import it back. So I'm still working on alternative solutions.

The picture resolution isn't apparently enough for a decent slideshow. I'll put this one on hold, until more user request the same feature or I come up with a solution.

Well then, I'll consider to offer a regular Genre field in future versions.

I'm working on more themes and hopefully the next update will come with more choices.

Hmm.. I don't think a lot of people wanna share those collection files. They are too huge to host, it'll cost me a lot. So currently, I don't have a plan to open a collection sharing site.

Although thank you very much for your support and suggestions.
DVD Collection Export in csv format : No Custom Fields??? By: RhinoBanga Date: May 07, 2005
I'd also like to say that I too use a custom field for holding a "storage location" and was also disapointed that custom fields were not exported, especially considering it's a selectable column in the export process.

I wanted to export the data, massage it and then feed it into a website so that my friends/family can easily select dvd's from my 600+ disc collection for borrowing.

Without the location field there's no point as it would involve myself having to manually issue searches thru MediaMan to find the location of each dvd.

That's why I am all for plugins:  http://www.imediaman.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=504

So that programmers like myself can plug the gaps.
DVD Collection Export in csv format : No Custom Fields??? By: He.Shiming Date: May 07, 2005
Noted, thanks for reporting. I'll include custom fields in CSV exporting feature.