MediaMan Community MediaMan Forum
Pages: 1
Hang on loading collection file (without dmp file) By: Grey Date: May 17, 2005
I've been having a problem with MediaMan 2.1. Whenever I try to load any collection file, the program freezes and has to be manually stopped in the Task Manager. The program runs normally when I start it with no collection file loaded, but if I try to load even an empty file it will hang and start not responding. This also means I don't get a dump file to send you.

I'm running Windows 2000 on a Pentium 3 1GHz computer (and not running Trillian). Please tell me any other info you'd like if you think you can figure this out; otherwise I can just wait patiently for the next version. The one time I was able to use MM I loved it, so I'm really hoping this is something easy to fix. Thanks!
Hang on loading collection file (without dmp file) By: He.Shiming Date: May 17, 2005
Well, the file opening code hasn't been changed greatly ever since the first release of the program. It is possible that MediaMan fails to open the collection file due to the errors in it. However, it's not likely to hang, and this is the first time that I heard such thing happens.

Do you mean that even if you create an empty collection file, save it, and re-open it, MediaMan will hang?

If so, I'm going to need your detailed system specs, including CPU, motherboard chipset, RAM type, hard drive model, Windows version and service pack version.

Also, please try to copy the created collection file to elsewhere to make sure that there's no problem with the hard drive. I'm going to need the full path and filename for the collection file too.
Hang on loading collection file (without dmp file) By: Grey Date: May 20, 2005
Figured it out!

On a whim after checking out the SDK, I tried resetting my Internet Explorer (5.0) security settings for the "Internet" zone from my high-security Custom setting to the default Medium, and lo and behold, MediaMan is working just fine now.

I fiddled with the IE settings, and it seems that when I change the Active Scripting option to "prompt" from the default "always" is when MM hangs, but not for any other changes. I'm assuming that it's something to do with the home page statistics script, since opening MM without a file loaded was fine but even an empty collection would cause it to hang.

I use Firefox (set as default browser), and always leave IE in offline mode since I only use it for viewing local pages. Because of this I never bothered to upgrade IE when I installed Windows 2000 (SP4) - I'm on dialup, and IE is big. When I do have to use IE, I prefer the security settings to be rather high. IE's integration into Windows is nothing short of irritating to me.

Can you use MediaMan themes in Win2000? I could probably get around the script issue by just coding/finding a theme that doesn't use the stats since I don't really ever look at them. I know the SDK page says WinXP, but 2000 does a lot of similar things (alpha blending, for instance) and the theme's home page does just look like basic HTML/XML for the most part.
Hang on loading collection file (without dmp file) By: He.Shiming Date: May 20, 2005
I'm glad you solved the problem. And thank you for the information. I'll investigate on this issue and hopefully it'll be fixed in the next update. The HTML view pane (the Internet Explorer container) has been re-written completely already. It'll be hopefully more compatible with higher security settings.

However, you are strongly advised to upgrade your Internet Explorer to the latest available version (6.0 SP2) even if you don't use it at all. You are taking a big risk still using 5.0. As you know that it's a system component, a lot of programs may be using it even if they don't appear to.

Themes will work on Windows 2000, but it'll be ugly. The fancy 32bit image icon is a new feature introduced in Windows XP, and I'm sorry that there's no plan to migrate it onto Windows 2000.
Hang on loading collection file (without dmp file) By: Grey Date: May 25, 2005
No problem, I'm happy to have been able to help with such a great program! Thanks also for the info on the themes in Win2k. I think I'll probably throw a test theme together just to see how "ugly" it looks, just out of curiosity, really. After all, the default theme is rather lovely as is. I'm looking forward to the next version, since MediaMan has become an invaluable resource for me and some of the planned features sound excellent.